Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Youthful Perspective

“Youth is wasted on the young.” I’m not certain who coined that phrase first but it is indeed a cruel irony that as adults we understand that point but as children, no amount of drilling it in our craniums would or will make a difference. I thought I would offer up a little of my own perspective.

Recent events in my life have made me think a little about what the differences are between the so called adult way of thinking and the little adults way of thinking. I think it boils down to one evil word for both children and adults; consequences. We make decisions every day that have both intended and unintended consequences. I would submit that children really don’t make the distinction and we as adults should be there to guide them. That being said I would have to also say that many children do a much better job!

So if consequences exist no matter what the age where does experience fit in as far as helping our children. It’s quite simple….anything they are trying to do that may be harmful was probably already performed by the adults in their life. But where children have the advantage is having, and I say this in hope, a backstop of an adult to temper the consequences somewhat. What children will never understand is that as adults our decisions become our own and we have nowhere to look but in the mirror as to the responsibility of said decisions. Children who are fortunate enough to have adult supervision have the real blessing of not being entirely responsible as far as our society as a whole. Yes we try to make them accountable and understand the consequences of bad decisions but oftentimes those consequences and subsequent punishments are kept within the family. We are basically judge and jury. They many times see it as unfair judgment until, of course, they become adults and then it all comes in to focus.

I would state that these are my opinions and I realize some may disagree and that’s fine, you can deal with the consequences of that disagreement. (or not) I have to say that one of the most satisfying things in my lifetime is to see my offspring finally understand why they were held to a certain yardstick of behavior and how children of today measure up. (or don’t) So keep the dialogue open and free with your children because at some point in your life, hopefully, you will have the pleasure of watching the light bulb come on in their eyes of how much your love and support made them who they are and made them think the way they think.

1 comment: