Saturday, April 14, 2012

On April 15th, 2010 there was an event that perhaps did not shake the world or get high amounts of publicity but it shook and changed my world forever. My Dad passed away. You see he was not an ex-President or royalty or even a celebrity but he was indeed my hero and I can safely say was many others as well.

He was a man that although at times live a hard life, lived it with integrity and faith. You always knew that the two most important sides of this man were his family and his faith. He could be tough sometimes but he was always fair and he was generous on many occasions. He could fix anything and had very keen analytical skills. He was sharp as a tack and if you ever dared to go down the path of battling wits with him you better be ready to get your butt handed to you.

We were pretty diametrically opposed on matters of politics or at least that’s what he seemed to profess but the more I would talk to him one on one the more we agreed rather than disagreed. I think many times he just enjoyed throwing out the hook and snagging me in a discussion and it was more his enjoyment in getting a rise out of me. I would define him as a Kennedy Democrat.

I have some very special memories of this man especially later in life when he actually did seek out my council after the death of his wife. I had, unfortunately, some experience losing a spouse that way and I think we had some very poignant discussions that I will never forget.

I could fill a book with memories but I prefer to keep many in my heart alone. So you see this man, while not worldly famous, will never be forgotten by me and many more. Dad, you made me who I am, yes both the good and the mischievous part, and while we never verbalized this enough I am sure you knew I loved and admired you and I really look forward to the day I see you again……

No comments:

Post a Comment