Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pipe dreams and Other Thoughts

Are we more important than we think we are? I’ve wondered that from time to time. Then it occurs to me that we should really be more concerned about how we are important to others. I don’t mean just in the sense of responsibility but just mattering to others. Do we just wake up one morning and say “I think I am going to start to matter to others.” I think not. I hope not. The way we gain importance is through how we make a difference in other people’s lives. It’s about the effort we make to actually affect others in a positive way. It can start by something as simple as holding a door open for someone.

Why should we care? I’m sure that many people these days really look at how they are viewed instead of actually affecting the view. The other point to acknowledge is if we are trying to affect the view in only superficial ways we will only look as shallow as those attempts.

You see, I think that living your life for others is the supreme way to really and truly make a difference. Many people in this day and age live life only for themselves. It is known as what’s in it for me rather than how can I make a difference for them. You see it every day. Go to a supermarket and watch how people are on self-missions and God help anyone who breaks their mission’s rhythm. You can ride on any road and see how so many people seem to be ready to beep their horn at anyone who breaks their stride. Remember the old saying, patience is a virtue? I submit that is a mostly lost virtue. I think that virtue began to decay when the microwave was invented. Push a button and in 2 minutes you have a complete meal. Now it is an expectation that we push a button and instantly get what we want. No more need for patience.

I talked about this with my dear sweet wife the other day and said imagine if everyone lost their cell phone reception for a day. The world would go into complete turmoil. Nothing would really change in that day but the perception of being disconnected from an over-connected world would drive deep and traumatic results. Perhaps it would also make everyone stop and look at each other if for just a day and perhaps even TALK to each other. What a hideous time that would be right?

How about no electricity for a day? Now, of course, the obvious need for electricity is with health care and vital services but think how paralyzed we are when power goes out for just 20 or 30 minutes?

My point in all of these mind numbing thoughts is we are a product of screaming fast and ever changing technology. Technology has come so far in such a short period of time that humanity and the way we interact has been forever changed. The majority of anyone younger than me could never imagine a world without a cell phone, microwave, computer or GPS. I grew up without all of those things and seem to have done OK. (Opinions may differ) So I submit instead of having an Earth Day or some other “green initiative” we should have a technology free day. Perhaps look at a flower or the ocean or listen to the wind blowing through the trees or just sit and talk to someone instead of TEXTING. It is a pipe dream but pipe dreams are always where dreams start so that’s my pipe dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment