Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tidings Article

Some of you may know I produce a monthly article for our Church's Newsletter. I thought I would post my latest. Perhaps it will make you think a bit....perhaps not.


As I begin to write this I am reminded just how really insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things. I am in a snowy Maryland with more falling right now. So I am hunkered down in a hotel longing for a warm North Carolina day.

When I read that first sentence again I also am reminded of how very significant each of us is in our own way. I suppose that could be considered one of life’s incredible ironies. How could each of those statements be true you may ask? What reminds me of the second statement is what I am looking at right this moment. It is a Gideon bible. The Gideon’s have been doing this for years. Some of us may even just look to see if there actually is a Gideon bible in our room without ever opening it up. That is unfortunate. It is quite a nicely done little bible. That is really not the main point, just an observation. The point here is that the Gideon’s are a perfect example of just how significant each of us can be. The Gideon’s, if you don’t know, are an association of Christian men across denominational lines whose main purpose is to spread the word of God. The association was started by two men in 1898! Two strangers that had one thing in common: our Lord Jesus Christ. What an amazing display of the Holy Spirit working among us!

Reading how a movement like that began gives me pause and makes me wonder what God may have in store for me. I’m quite sure those two men had no idea how incredible their pursuit would grow. Then again, the power of God shows really no boundaries and quite often amazes us. That being said, it doesn’t always slap us in the face. Spreading the word is not something that is often easy and can even sometimes require personal sacrifice. It seems to me that it is really the ultimate display of how giving is so much more fulfilling than receiving.

Consider this point and think about how you can nurture your own movement within the bounds of our wonderful church here at St Timothy’s. I just know if you look you will find people in your same circumstance seeking some way to serve our Lord. Who knows you may start something as small as those two Gideon’s did and it could become much larger than even you might imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment