Sunday, January 24, 2010

Karen


It was almost on this day eleven years ago that the world lost a special person. No, it wasn’t a big celebrity. No, it didn’t hit all the big media outlets and become a major worldwide story. It happened as if a whisper of a leaf rustling in an early morning breeze. It was a short story of just a loving, intelligent, giving lady, wife, mother and friend.

Time has moved on in its usual almost cruelly frenzied pace. Some perhaps have forgotten, or at least, put it to the back of the minds and I must confess there are times when my past escapes me but almost every day I’m reminded of the loss. More importantly I think I’m reminded of what I was blessed to be a part of rather than the loss. That is another perhaps healing aspect of time moving forward. In the immediate aftermath of such a tragedy you naturally, if for a time, grieve about what you’ve lost. I personally became at least doubly blessed to have a special lady become a part of my life after that horrendous event. Real love is such a rare commodity and to find it twice in ones life is even more exceptional.

This lady I speak of who passed on was Karen. She was special to many people. She touched many lives and for twelve short years was a special mother. I know her daughter misses her every day. One of the very special benefits in having a daughter is you can look at her and be reminded of her mother. It is even more special and perhaps at times poignant to be reminded of her mother when her mother has moved on to the Lord’s house. Karen left a legacy. I thank God for that legacy.

Below I’ve included her obituary to remind us all of her and I hope many of you were as blessed to know and love this special lady as I was. Don’t grieve for what we lost. Celebrate what we gained.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said Peter. What I remember most about Karen was how positive and giving she was. One of the last times we talked to each other was on the day you got married. I have a picture that she sent me. She was in her wedding dress on the phone. She told me she was talking to me! She had the ability to always make you feel special. I'm sorry that I lost touch with her before the end and that I wasn't there as her friend for you and Marlee. It sounds like you have a fabulous support system and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete