Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hodgepodge



I haven’t written a lot in a while probably because when I come home from my office the last thing I feel like doing is thinking! But recent events and my propensity for political rants has got me bubbling over.

My first topic is our illegal immigrant policy; or should I say lack thereof? Our President recently stated that our borders are now more secure than they have ever been. Was that some kind of a joke? Are you kidding me? If you think that the 1200 additional National Guard troops will make a dent in this you are living in another time continuum. Of the 1200 troops sent a little over 500 are being delegated to the almost 2000 mile border of Arizona. So that’s one person for every 4 miles…..there you have it. We have the resources to make our borders secure but no one in government has the kiwis to make it so. Might this be that perhaps certain people in our government are looking for some affirmative votes in upcoming elections? What a cynical question to ask; I won’t answer it but I invite you to stay tuned to the amnesty debacle that will be taking place soon in a country near you.

North Carolina is tackling the very controversial bill about making talking on a cell phone illegal in your car. Even my sweet wife says this type of law will really have no impact on the problem. I am certainly not one to invite even more government intrusion in our lives. Still though, I wonder if this falls into that simple category. It is, on the surface, more government intrusion. The issue here though is public safety and from what I see on our state highways, cell phones are an absolute hazard. I watch people every day making wild, nonsensical maneuvers while they are engrossed in some conversation and then they look up at you like you are an idiot. Those people should not only not be allowed to talk on a cell phone in their cars but they should have them taken away permanently. I don’t want our wonderful non-representative government telling me what I can do or cannot do; however, I don’t want Joe Geek plowing head on into me while talking about the usefulness of quotation marks in his excel spreadsheet. So this one is a tough call.

Lastly, this is more an observation than an opinion although with me it’s sometimes difficult to make the distinction. I am just fascinated by watching these economic “experts” give their opinions about our economy. They have all pretty much proven to be as successful as the weatherman predicting our hurricane season. It’s as if they are all using completely different sets of information to arrive at our doom and gloom. It would appear that forecasting the economy is not at all a science but an art. I guess my comment here is their should be a disclaimer before any of those pointy headed experts speak of the economy stating that this is merely an interpretation based on fictional facts.

I don’t know when my next literary compost pile will appear. Sometimes I think I just write these to myself for my own pleasure. I do find that when I begin to write I can’t type as fast as my brain can think and often I find myself frustrated that my memory is so short that by the time I’ve written a thought I forget the thought that just popped in my circuitry that seemed more relevant. I know; it sounds like a personal problem. The good thing about a blog is you all have the ability and right to just hit the X…..

No comments:

Post a Comment