Sunday, July 26, 2009

Project Complete (Well Not Really)

I would be the first to tell you that painting is not my favorite chore in the world but that being stated, there is really no better feeling to me than doing something yourself and appreciating the finished product.

My wife and I undertook the rather intimidating project of painting our living room. It is the largest room in our house which is true for many homes such as ours and it also has the magnificent feature of a vaulted ceiling. When I utter magnificent I really am speaking in the aesthetic sense not so much the maintenance sense. To give you a clearer picture it is 16 feet at the center peak and I was using an eight foot ladder. I am six foot two inches tall. Do the math and you will quickly understand the precariousness of painting the dreaded peak. Add to that the ceiling fan planted precisely in the middle of the peak and well it was interesting to say the least. I must publicly congratulate my wife for having really a minimum of freak-out moments during this entire project especially when I was dangling from the aforementioned ladder.

Another aesthetic feature is something aptly named popcorn ceiling. Anyone who has it knows exactly what it is and most people that have it seem to wish they didn’t. I’m stuck with it for now and painting this marvel of surfaces is both tiring and messy with the emphasis on messy. When I was through I had popcorn in places I didn’t know I had places. I looked like a melting snowman when it was completed. There is no way to neatly paint a ceiling and I, of course, am an overachiever!

My wife’s role in this was pretty impressive I must say. She’s what she proclaims to be a normal height and thus she stayed a little closer to the ground although she did get on her step stool from time to time. She was a painting fool though and really tore through a lot of the trim. I could have no better partner to help me with this job and she made it a much more tolerable event. One of the many reasons I love her is she’s not afraid to dive in and get it done and not only appreciates the finished product but had a lot to do with it.

So we are almost through with this room. One accent wall to paint today and then an armload of wall plates to replace and re-hang about a hundred or so pictures replace what furniture we still own with a couple pieces to be delivered this Saturday and we can relax. Did I say relax? Anyone of you who owns their home knows that’s a misnomer. It’s on to the next “project”.

No comments:

Post a Comment