Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why Are We Here?

So why are we here? This is a great question that philosophers have been examining and wrangling over since really the beginning of self-awareness. Is there a purpose or meaning to our existence? Are we just random pulses of cells with really no distinct rationale? I’m about to give my uneducated opinion. I say uneducated because I’ve never even taken a philosophy class or studied that discipline but I do consider living a few years a license to dispense my thoughts.

I do believe that we will never know the answer to that question in this life. I surmise that when you examine the broad scheme of this planet and all its magnificence and all its unharnessed power that you have to come to the conclusion that while each one of us individually may not be part of a single plan, our existence has a meaning. I don’t think we are part of Darwin’s theory of evolution. I don’t discount evolution to some extent but I also believe this evolution to be a part of God’s plan.

I’m always a little amazed as to how some people really think they have no reason for being. It must be a horrible way to live your life because if you really have that opinion what is the very point in continuing on in life? It would seem to me that you would be constantly cynical and not regard life as being precious or even important.

So in my little way of thinking I believe that life is very precious and that how we live out our lives is important to our next step which I believe to be salvation. The very meaning of salvation is to be saved. Before you just stop reading don’t think I am getting all religious or Biblical on you although for many that wouldn’t be a bad first step. How can you really talk about the meaning of life if you don’t ponder what is on the other side of our existence on Earth? That in fact would be the core issue in determining our very meaning.

So there you have my opinion. We are indeed on this Earth to complete part of a larger plan. How we live, how we treat our fellow man and how we leave our mark will be ultimately the most important meaning to our existence and to our soul’s future. Take what you will from this entry but my main point is this one statement; yes you are important!

No comments:

Post a Comment