Sunday, August 23, 2009

In The Twinkling Of An Eye

Two days ago I was reminded of a couple facts about my life that I am neither proud of or able to readily change. Now when some people read this they will probably tell me to grow up and keep my perspective in a more logical order. They may be right but I am too set in my ways and changing some things about me, as my wife will grudgingly attest to, will be a monumental task. Here's what took place to rock my world, so to speak: my main desktop computer crashed.

The first thing most anyone would say is something like, "You did back up all your important files, right?" That would be followed by me throwing a sort of blank dead in the pupils stare with little else to be said. It is a question that literally makes me nauseous. I may be jumping the gun here as right now my CPU is resting in the hands of a computer repair establishment that will call me in 3 or 4 days with my "options". I can't wait for that call.

One of the issues that I am reminded about in this sudden turn of events is how much that box of silicon chips, transceivers, diodes, cables, etc. has become such an ingrained part of my ritual of routines. It's my escape from reality and my reminder of reality all in one box. I learn about the world from that box. It's in my little office which at times can be a sort of temporary refuge from all the disappointments and cruelties of this world.

I am typing this entry on a laptop. Laptops are great for mobile computing. They offer a taste of the desktop while being, for me at least, just a little more tedious to type on for any length of time. This may be a problem for me because I am a product of the typewriter generation and I find it more difficult to type on a small keyboard. Now I know all you "youngsters' out there that can type novels on your blackberries are sighing at this moment. That's fine as perhaps you will be throwing a little more oxygen at your skulls full of mush. This can only be beneficial.

Another thing that I am not proud of is how this event has put me in a bit of a funk. My wife puts up with my moods, how I will never know, but I want to change that about myself yet sometimes feel powerless to do. In all honesty I don't handle change well at all. It's what steeps me, in some people's eyes in being behind with the times. I would and will never describe myself as progressive. I will always be of the mindset if it ain't broke don't fix it! There are already too many people in this world with too much time on their hands who are constantly looking to change anything and everything. I am literally tired of the axiom "new and improved!" It almost is never really that new and many times is less of a product.

I am digressing as I almost always do but my main point in writing this is to try and remind everyone to back up everything that is important because in the twinkling of an eye it can be lost. I am about to end this entry as it has taken me twice as long as normal because of this God forsaken small keyboard! I'll keep you all posted as to my computer's prognosis. Prayers are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment