Tuesday, September 8, 2009

More thoughts On Religion

As I sit here in somewhat minor sacroiliacal (yes I made up the word-get over it) discomfort at least my arguably fertile mind still works so it seems the perfect opportunity to think and write about that thinking. I invite you to hang on for this literary ride.

I love talking about this topic because it ruffles so many people's feathers and riles the rest. I will not speak of the advantages of one faith over the other because frankly I'm not qualified to make those judgements. I am Christian and quite comfortable in my Christian skin. The thing that really fascinates and puzzles me about the topic of religion is how so many are uncomfortable even broaching the topic. Perhaps it is similar in how people tend to avoid mirrors. It's much easier in many people's eyes to avoid anything that might spur self examination. I will go a step further. There are three words that strike mind numbing fear in many people. Three words that cause almost a physical reaction paramount to intellectual hives. Three words that may, in some cases in history, have stopped ethnic cleansing or wars or more. The three words you ask? I am wrong. Those are three very simple words when put together are one of the most powerful statements a person can make. I may have strayed from my religious comment but I believe that admission of being wrong is directly related to believing there is a higher power who already knows whether you are right or wrong. When you actually believe this you are forced through your faith to examine yourself and when you do this exercise in self examination you must be able to say you are wrong and ask for forgiveness.

I think there's another reason people are afraid of religion. Perhaps it coincides with many things in life and also relates to our modern society as a whole. It takes effort. Why do so many marriages fail? Why let someone else take care of you and all your needs instead of doing it on your own? It takes effort. We are fast becoming a culture of the easy way out. I hope and pray that the many people in this world that have given up on making an effort find resurrection of hope and worth at some point. Life on this planet is too short to not make an effort and because of my faith I also know that the effort made now will pay dividends in my spiritual and ultimately final destination.

Are there answers to this? I have none at the moment. I merely make a couple of points for you to consider. This is a complex issue and one that man has grappled with since the beginning of time I suspect. There is much to think about where religion is involved. It is a challenging time to be a Pastor as I've come to witness. I do believe we are in a cycle that will change at some point. I see my particular faith in the Episcopal Church as in serious upheaval. In my eyes it all boils down to who our leaders in my church believe is the ultimate authority. If they conclude it to be God, I remain stoutly in their corner. If, on the other hand, they are to conclude it is man, that could pose a serious problem for me in the future. Time will tell as time always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment