Sunday, November 22, 2009

First Week in The Corporate World

So this was my first full week of exposure to the corporate world. It has been both fascinating and fraught with challenges and adjustments. When it comes to the technologies I am working with I am pretty well educated, however when it has to deal with the corporate process to achieve goals and objectives I am in my infancy. It’s really all about the process in a corporate world and I am learning this now.

The environment I am working with now is one that is foreign to me at least on the security side. I have had plenty of (too much really) exposure to the patient side of hospitals but this is a new type of client I am about to work with. I will now be intimately involved with the security side of the medical environment. That has me both excited and hesitant. Excited because this type of client really needs the services my company offers; Hesitant because I will now be involved very closely with bean counter types. When I was a locksmith the beans were of a much smaller size. So decisions made will be far reaching financially and have an impact on the company’s success. So the pressure with this type of client will be more substantial.

I am not complaining, mind you, just trying to convey the challenges that lie before me. I’m not even certain how much blogging I will be able to continue, at least in the short term. I am grateful for this opportunity even though you may not be getting that yet. I guess I am thinking through how to handle these next few weeks of more training and more exposure to the new environment. It’s a little disconcerting to have to manage people that actually know the process better than the manager. I plan to make that change but have to be patient in getting to that point. I suppose every manager goes through that type of atmosphere in a new job. But knowing it and dealing with it are not always the same when it comes to executing the correct path.

I will try and keep you up to date about my exploits when possible. I truly hope that everyone reading this has an exceptional Thanksgiving and says a little prayer for me to succeed in my new endeavor. I know I can do it……now I just need to prove it.

1 comment:

  1. You are in the learning curve, Pete, and a week isn't much time to adjust to the corporate world. I've been in the corporate world for about 37 years now, and the process of setting my annual goals and objectives and meeting those challenges still create a bit of anxiety... so hang in there. You said it all in your last sentence: "I know I can do it……now I just need to prove it." I also have faith that you can do it ... and I KNOW that you will prove you can do it !!! You're always in my prayers and in my heart ... Love, Sis

    ReplyDelete