Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Real Thanksgiving

As I sit here this morning having a cup of java and pondering my life to this point it has become quite clear to me that being thankful is very important to being happy. Reflecting on what you have is always more productive and honorable that what you want. It’s sometimes challenging as our society these days and really not just these days but for as long as I can remember really seems to place a value on things you have acquired. BMW’s and 15,000 square foot homes don’t impress me. Don’t misunderstand, I’m happy for those people and their achievements but the “thing” part of the equation doesn’t electrify me.

I’m sure you can remember when you were young, if you’re my age, how oftentimes when opening a package how initially the wrapping was sometimes more impressive than what was inside. But think again about how long the wrapper would last and how long what was inside would last and in the end what meant more. I think it’s an appropriate analogy about my subject. What is important is not the BMW but the person driving it and how they live their life. What is important is not the 15,000 square foot home but the people inside and how they live their lives.

So my point this morning is this; be thankful for everything in your lives but be most thankful for not the packaging of your life but about the real substance underneath. You have a rich life if you are surrounded by a loving, caring group of friends and family and you are striving to make a difference somehow in not just your own life but in the lives of others. Be mindful of the real value of the “things” in your life.

I do indeed hope everyone realizes a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and is safe in their travels. I am thankful for everyone and everything I have and hope I can continue to give back to the best of my abilities and try and make a difference for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment