Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Life and Change

Life is full of surprises. All who are sentient beings and have any degree of self awareness know this to be true. Many of us who even think we might be in control of most any part of our lives only need to roll out of bed in the morning to see how our arrogance is misplaced.

Now we may be in control of some minor details but the masterpiece of life is not ours to paint but rather to strive to find where in the painting we are to be included. I believe we spend the majority of our lives squinting at that painting and wondering. I think the question of why are we here is much less relevant than where are we here.

We each have our own gifts and talents to add to the mix of humanity. We may not even yet be fully aware of what those gifts may be. The ultimate challenge and satisfaction in life is to actually discover our own intimate purpose in this world. Some sadly never really discover this and therefore never fully answer that question within themselves.

My mind has been obsessed with this point of life lately for more personal reasons. I am in deep contemplation about where I fit in this world as far as my career is concerned. I am about to embark upon a significant change in the direction of my career path and am praying that I am making the right decision. For those of you who know me at all know that I don’t make major changes in my life without a tremendous amount of retrospection and self examination. Am I pursuing this path because it is God’s will or my own? I’m really hoping the answer to that question is both.

We really glorify our maker by not only finding our way in this world but by seizing upon it and making a real difference. How do we do this? It’s for each of us to individually discover. Life is abundantly full of choices.

So I am making a shift in my career. I am both excited and a bit intimidated. I suppose both of those qualities are healthy. Without either of those I would question the purpose of the shift.

I have received just an incredible amount of encouragement and support. My young yet sometimes wise daughter points out that I have a number of people that care about me. That fact is not lost on me I assure you. I am feeling a bit like George Bailey these days when he came to the realization that your wealth can really be measured by the amount of people you have touched and therefore touch you back.

My thanks to all who have prayed for me and encouraged me and foremost my thanks and love go to my dear wife.

1 comment:

  1. I am so very proud of you, Pete, for pursuing this endeavor for yourself and for your family. I know it took much prayer and sole searching to come to your final decision. I have no doubt that you will be successful based on your knowledge, drive and that wonderful personality of yours. I wish for you all the very best in your new career !!!

    Love you so...
    Sis

    ReplyDelete