Thursday, April 29, 2010

I Am Blessed




So time is moving forward as always does whether we want it to or not. My life has been inexplicably changed forever with the loss of my Dad. My faith has received the ultimate test. As much as I am still working through the grieving process there is one thought that continues to sift its way through to the forefront of my sometimes almost impenetrable brain; I am blessed.

My Dad has forged on to the ultimate destination. He leaves us with so many incredible and indelible memories. So many moments of laughter and joy and a few moments of frustration but mostly the memories are solid and good. I am blessed.

He has lead by an incredible example. He worked most of his life to provide for his family. We may not have always appreciated that fact but we could never dispute it. His mind was a mind of very intense analysis. The man could fix anything and could improve on most everything. You may not always agree with his solutions but in the end you would always succumb to his methods because you knew he was either right or you were wrong. By the way, I don’t remember a time he was wrong and he would agree with that statement! I am blessed.

How can you quantify what a single man has done in his life to inspire you? I can tell you from my personal experience and that is you can not. I remember being just a shade higher than a mailbox and listening to him play his trumpet and wanting so much to play the trumpet. As destiny would have I play the trumpet. My style is most directly influenced by the heart and soul my Dad put into his playing. The first songs I could really play were the songs I heard come from his horn. I distinctly remember his talent in woodworking and in basically fixing most everything he put his hands on. As it turns out I think I am pretty handy, I am blessed.

When I was very little and made, yes made to attend the Catholic Church I really had no idea the impact that would have on me in later life. Even at a tender age I grew to understand the importance faith either had or would have on me. I saw in my Dad’s eyes and in his behavior the level of importance he placed on his faith. Sure I had a period I went through in my 20’s when I figured I had all the answers and shunned God. I was blessed to be impacted by my Dad in ways I had yet to learn in those years. I believe more in God right this minute than I did just a minute ago. I attribute this core of my beliefs to my one true hero in this life. I am blessed.

Notice I state that I am blessed in the present tense? I am blessed not because I had a Dad who loved me but because I still believe I have a Dad that loves me; just not of this world. The other reason I think of it in the present tense is because I carry my Dad wherever I go. I will always carry this man just as I know my wife and daughter will carry this man. Just as I know my Aunts and Cousins will carry this man. Everyone whoever had the pleasure of making contact with this man will carry him in one form or another. So not only am I blessed; we are all blessed.

More to come on this subject but my composure or I should say lack of composure dictates I stop for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment