Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Getting Old And Everything THAT Means

As I continue to age it is becoming quite apparent that getting old is not for wimps. This thought was merely a thought for some time, something to say in jest but it is now coming to fruition.

One of the first challenges I seem to face more and more is keeping my different doctor's appointments organized. I sort of long for the days when you basically had one doctor who covered most all maladies. It didn't matter what the problem, old Doc Kaiser had it covered. I guess the other side of that coin was that our life expectancy was significantly lower. Now we have doctors for skin, bones, sleep disorders, nose & mouth (or is that hoof and mouth?), eyes, back. lower regions that I would rather not comment on, etc. I have to believe that medical schools all over the country keep open slots for courses on any new disease and make them another specialty.

I remember when I could work all day, play all night, get a little sleep and do it all over again. Now if I work all day and play just a small portion of the night, I spend the next day or two recovering. It seems unfair that just when we get old enough to appreciate all the fun things we can do, we are too old to do them! I won't elaborate on this any further. If your as old or older than I am you understand and if not, you don't deserve the right to understand yet. (but it's coming)

Another annoyance of mine in particular is the need to line up my pills in the morning as if were some twisted buffet. I even have to take one pill to counteract the effects of another which makes no sense to me. Perhaps I don't need either. I try to rely on my doctors' judgement as to what I need and don't need, however, every once in a while I get this twinge of doubt. I often wonder if older doctors have this pill regiment as I do or do they just hoot and holler and laugh it up about their less than educated patients.

As much as I like to complain about the medical issues I deal with I also wonder how our health care will be down the road. Look at Medicare and it's hideous record and imagine the government taking over all other health care, with the exception, of course, of their own plans. I wonder if I will still be lining them up in the morning or if I will just go without. Time will tell I suppose but history is not on our side. Perhaps I need a head doctor to talk all these issues over with, however, I would be afraid they would prescribe more pills for me!

It won't be too many more years when I'll be quoting George Burns in where he said, "if I wake up and don't read my obituary, it's gonna be a good day!" The only problem with that line, George, is I think you may have missed your obit when it was printed. I think I want mine printed the day before so I can read it an be impressed about all the things I've done....or is that depressed???

2 comments:

  1. You are a strange man, but I love ya! :-) Some days I feel like I am married to a combination of Mark Twain and Andy Rooney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, funny stuff and all too true. My little line up of medicine is kind of puny compared to some others but seems fairly ridiculous to me. I remember the "old" folks in the kithcen in Standish comparing their various medications. (Grandma B. usually had everyone beat) Now we're them! And you're still a youngster, relatively speaking. Good job.

    ReplyDelete