Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just Why Do I Blog?

Why do I do this blogging thing I often wonder to myself. If it was for some sort of validation I would have quit a long time ago. I can barely get my wife to read my musings and my daughter seems to be too busy most of the time to read or care to read for that matter. I do understand my wife's trepidation about reading my political opinions as she is much more moderate and perhaps at times a little left of moderate so our political discussions are few and far between if for no other reason to sustain harmony. My daughter seems to be a little more in line with my thinking although there are times she is in denial about it. I've tried very hard to impart my "wisdom" on her and hopefully some of it stuck.

So why do I do this? It's not for financial gain and most likely will never be. God knows I have plenty of other tasks I should be doing while I'm writing. I have this inner need I think to express myself in some way. It may have been nurtured through my music in early years. I think I write often hoping that someone will read and appreciate what I have to say and perhaps gain insight if not be a little entertained along the way. Perhaps it's my way of working through issues sometimes. Instead of talking to myself I write in some cases to myself. It is a good form of self-therapy. Sometimes when I read my entries over I wonder what possessed me to say this or that.

I think sometimes it's a way for me to pray without saying the words but instead thinking them and ultimately writing them. In the past I have used it to verbalize crises' that I was trying to work through. You'd be amazed how it helps to do this. I write sometimes to give a tribute to people in my life that I think should be done publicly, my wife for example battling through breast cancer and never looking back. So it's a public form of adoration and I feel it's important sometimes.

So what makes me do this? Haven't you been reading! As long as I feel the compulsion to write my thoughts I will continue to do so. If you read and enjoy it I would hope you tell me. If you disagree I would hope you would tell me. If you read and don't want to acknowledge it that's fine. It won't change my will to continue on.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. B,
    I enjoy reading you blogs. They make me think...and I know what you mean about why you even blog. I keep a journal for myself but sometimes you want to write your thoughts and feelings down and have people read them. It is an awesome therapy. I hope you keep writing!



    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome ...kudos .....I live to read your stuff :-)

    Seriously, this is well thought out and not just because you praised me (actually I felt very humble).

    Love you... keep writing!

    ReplyDelete