Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Dad, My Hero

This Blog was posted a few months back but I wanted to include it on this site.



I have been trying to formulate a way to write this blog and am still unsure how it will go but I am writing about my favorite subject: My Dad.

Some of you may know this, in fact anyone who knows me at all knows this. I recently took an emergency trip to upstate NY as my ..Dad.. took a turn for the worst in regards to his health. He has, since, made a rather miraculous recovery from surgery and I am back at home now pondering the future and what it holds.

This man is my hero. He is a rock and someone whose faith and courage are astounding to me. He has battled a couple different problems in the past few years that might bring mere mortals to their knees. He has displayed his faith and how no matter the outcome as long as you believe you are destined to a higher purpose you will move through any problem with dignity and forbearance. I am in awe of this man even more now than I ever have been.

My personal problem is how to overcome dealing with the uncertainty of the future. When my ..Dad.. and I parted ways this past Friday it was the most gut wrenching and personally difficult emotional good bye I’ve ever been a part of. My ..Dad.. is a rock….did I mention that? Also I can usually control my emotions with the best of them. Friday was different though. We both lost control of our emotions. I did not want to leave him but we both knew I needed to. I have responsibilities to my family that his teachings had imparted in me. Isn’t that an irony?

So I am doing a great deal of soul searching and praying as to how I will deal with these feelings. I am still attempting to work through them. I know that both my ..Dad.. and I had a sense of that being our last face to face meeting on this Earth and I now need to convince him otherwise. I am not ready to accept any finality of our relationship as it exists now. There are no absolutes when it comes to life and our plans. We are not in control of God’s will and we are reminded of that daily. I could just as easily be next on the list for the here-after. The point is we don’t know and we should live our lives just that way. I know all of this in my heart but I am at the difficult crossroads of trying to come to terms with these issues in regards to my Dad. When it becomes personal it then becomes the ultimate test. It’s much easier to counsel someone on this when you are not personally vested, however, the rubber really meets the road when it hits home.
There is no right answer here. There is really nothing anyone can say that would change what has happened or what will happen. I know that some of my relatives have dealt with this issue on a very personal level and I look to them for strength and guidance. There is one thing I know to be true no matter what happens. Keep your faith strong. It will see you through. The other truth is love will get you through it all. Keep those things near and you will not only survive any challenges in the future, you will become stronger for having had to work through them.

1 comment:

  1. Peter, liked it the first time and even more now. Excellent.
    CuzJim

    ReplyDelete