Sunday, January 2, 2011

Do You Hold The Answers?

So the question is still on the table. I realize that many have made up their minds one way or another but you really need to look at the facts that have been gathered before you can reach a conclusion and as I see it the conclusion is we don’t have enough facts. Our meager existence is really the major problem at determining the answer to this question. We can do all the surmising and theories but we don’t have enough long term evidence to answer the question. Long term is the operative phrase. I’m here to tell you that Bird Berdan (if he were still doing the weather for Channel 5) in upstate NY can not tell you unequivocally that this exists. All of the weathermen and women in the world can give you theories and many already have but they are just theories. All of Hollywood’s smartest celebrities (is that an oxymoron?) have also weighed in on this issue. All of CNN and MSNBC and FOX news have also distributed their theories on this issue. Let’s not forget the activist singers that are so well versed in this issue as well.

The question you may ask, if you’re still reading, is this; Does global warming exist? The really curious thing about this is that scientists on a global spectrum differ about it. Some say we are actually experiencing global cooling while some say we are doomed to the ozone dissolving up and our existence as humans will be snuffed out. Now ask a scientist and you will get completely different opinions. How can that be? Is our data not the same across the board? Perhaps it’s because the data is such an infinitesimal example of our Earth’s existence that we have no real way of knowing about the heating and cooling cycles of the ball we live on.

I will tell you that from my experience on this subject that the green referendum and movement that is surfacing seems to me to be more about making a profit on people’s fears than on actually doing something for our , what some people think, fragile environment. I’m sorry but CFL’s are a waste of money and technology. What will we do with the massive amounts of mercury that will be building from these bulbs going into our landfills? Mercury is one of the most toxic elements on Earth to humans and yet this goes totally unchecked. I am looking forward to initiating the first class action lawsuit when this reality comes to fruition and mark my words, if the ozone doesn’t disappear and we don’t fry up like apple fritters this will happen.

You may have figured out what side of the fence I’m on with this issue. You would know because I am really not lobbying for the green movement. The other opinion I hold is that we are so insignificant to our Earth that it makes no real difference if we use corn to power our cars or hydrocarbons; what will be will be. The other thing that helps me with my feelings about this issue is I know in my heart I am only a temporary resident of this ball we live on. I know there are bigger and better things awaiting me and they don’t include forks made from potatoes.

Now I am not advocating that we are irresponsible tenants of this planet. What I am saying is we can be responsible about keeping things as clean as possible and not leaving behind a worse planet than we were handed and we can do it without all the hype and fear mongering that this green movement spews forth. We simply need to temper these initiatives with common sense and forward thinking and be aware that many of these green products will indeed hold unintended consequences if they are not fully researched before they are mandated upon us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment