Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Little World

So it’s Saturday morning and I have work to do. Those two terms just don’t seem well suited together so I may have to remove one and we all know we can’t control the day of the week.

I look around my heavily cluttered office and have so many things I could write about. On the wall I have an almost complete Jim Beam train that my Dad gave to me some time ago complete with the shelf he built with it. One of the cars still is untapped and being as I have no affinity for Jim Beam it may stay that way. It is obviously aged longer than Jim Beam is typically aged so I’m not certain what that means to the contents.

I have picture frames sprayed across the room with Dad, sons, daughters, wife, sister, grandchildren, a painting of Lyon Mountain, an obscure painting of a lighthouse scene, a golf course, and a beautiful scene from a place called Lake Junaluska in North Carolina. Seems like an interesting, if not always connected, plethora of topics.

I have a phone, an adding machine to count my millions and a tissue box when the realization I don’t have millions or even a calculable fraction of millions. I have an indiscernible group of books, CDs, movies of different formats, manuals, bibles, software. (You name it…it’s probably here although I might not know it) I have one of those weird gifts….a ceramic piggy bank with the words “Green Fees” on the side. It is most definitely empty which is yet another commentary on my golfing future. I have two printers…that’s right two. (To be fair one is a scanner/fax machine as well so I had a reason for printer two)

Let’s see what else I have…..a number of flashlights…some functional…some not so much. I have so many pens and pencils that I do believe I am very close to qualifying for the hoarder classification. My bet is 50% of these pens are dried up. I have a USB turntable for converting my albums into CDs. That project seems to have stalled out for some reason. BY the way, albums to you newborns are circular vinyl disks similar to a CD but oh maybe 3 times larger with grooves that contain music and other various audio compulsions of the good old days. There is still a rich sound that comes from vinyl that CDs will never capture.

I have a real antique in this office of mine….a phone book. To you newborns that was a rather cumbersome manual that served well as a doorstop, kindling and at one time was used to actually look up someone’s phone number. I hear now that they recycle whatever they get and make shingles from them.

I have a shredder. This was a device that really came into prevalence during the Nixon administration when covering one’s tracks became important….should have shredded those tapes as well.

Last on my list I will discuss is an exercise bike. It is very useful in hanging clothes on and leaning stuff against it that I have no real place for. It is a little difficult to dust so I avoid that task. I could go on with this inventory but since you are all asleep by this time it would only be for my entertainment. As a famous blogger once said….”Have a fine day”

No comments:

Post a Comment